Why You Should Conquer Social Media Marketing Today
In the dynamic and rapidly evolving world of Internet commerce, social media marketing has rocketed to the forefront of marketers’ attention. Many companies, both large and small, are investing substantially in social media marketing campaigns. Because this is such a new and still-developing aspect of Internet marketing, there are few formally trained professionals in the field. You can substantially increase your value to your current employer – as well as your attractiveness to future employers – if you undertake social media training and become proficient in this area of marketing.
The Expanding Role of Social Media
Social media is just one element of Internet marketing, but it’s a big one. Sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are gaining new members every day, providing a huge opportunity for anyone looking to market products or services online. In order to effectively take advantage of this potential customer base, however, businesses need specialists who know how to use social media marketing to their company’s best possible advantage.
Of course, the beauty of most social media sites is that anyone can set up a profile quickly and easily. Using that profile to generate sales and raise the profile of a company or brand is the tricky part of this type of Internet marketing, and it’s the reason that formal social media training is such a valuable asset. When you take the initiative to learn social media marketing, you’ll gain skills and knowledge that can put you on the cutting edge of this exciting discipline.
Tap Into the Benefits of Social Media Marketing
There is broad recognition within the business community that building social media marketing campaigns is something worth investing in heavily. Several major corporations – such as Burger King, Walmart, Starbucks and Pepsi – have had great success with their early ventures in social media, and are likely to continue to invest substantial sums in this area of Internet marketing.
Some other indications of the importance of social media marketing include:
- In the 2010-11 edition of its Occupational Outlook Handbook, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that many public relations departments and firms will increase their use of social media specialists in the coming years, meaning many more job opportunities for those trained in the field.1
- For the first time in 23 years, Pepsi did not run a Super Bowl commercial. Instead, the company chose to invest the money they would have spent on Super Bowl airtime on an expansion of their social media marketing campaign.2
- A recent Forrester survey reported that some 95% of Internet marketers are expecting to either maintain or increase their spending on social media.3
- Recent data released by Twitter indicates that it is being used for more online searches than both Bing and Yahoo combined, and is second only to Google in terms of search volume.4
- Ben & Jerry’s recently announced that they will discontinue their email marketing in favor of an increased investment in their social media campaign.5
Take the First Step towards Learning Social Media Marketing Today
In this fast-paced business climate, you’ll want to find a top-notch social media training program that allows you to acquire essential skills as quickly as possible. The good news is that you can learn social media marketing strategies and tactics online through the Advanced Social Media training course offered by the University of San Francisco (USF). This eight-week advanced specialized certificate course is the first and only social media training of its kind: expert-led, university-backed and 100% online.
Ranked as one of “America’s Best Colleges” by U.S. News & World Report, USF made a name for itself in the digital world when it launched its popular Internet Marketing Certificate. All of the university’s Internet marketing certificate programs deliver a host of benefits:
- Attend class, complete assignments and take exams at your convenience through a unique, video-based e-learning platform that is available 24/7.
- View lectures anytime and anywhere via streaming video, MP4 files or CD-ROM.
- Communicate with your professors and fellow classmates quickly and easily through message boards, live chat and email.
- Learn from renowned, real-world Internet marketing experts.
- Receive a handsomely framed university certificate upon completion of each course, and add respected credentials to your résumé.
In addition its Advanced Social Media course and Internet Marketing Certificate program, the University of San Francisco offers a number of other advanced specialized certificates that can help you hone your expertise in all aspects of interactive marketing. Register today – classes begin the first of each month, so you can begin applying your new skills on the job in a matter of weeks!
1 Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
2 Van Grove, Jennifer. “How Social Media Is Changing the Super Bowl”; Mashable.com, February 4, 2010.
3 Bernoff, Josh. “Recession Resistant: 95% of Social Media Marketers Will Maintain or Increase Social Media Spending”; Forrester “empowered” blog, March 16, 2009.
4 Carr, Austin. “Twitter Now the World’s Fastest Growing Search Engine”; FastCompany.com, July 8, 2010.
5 Qualman, Erik. “Ben & Jerry’s Kills e-mail in Flavor of Social Media”; Socialnomics.net, July 19, 2010.